From: Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<assam@assamnet.org>
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2007 10:21:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Assam] Parliament (Lok Sabha) Withering Away

>Also I have a question - the "Parliament" is called "Lok Sabha" t>oday. What
>are the "Members of Parliament" called in Hindi, >other than MP?

I am guessing:

Parliament: Sabha
Lower House/House of Commons: Lok Sabha
Upper House/House of Lords: Rajya Sabha

--Ram

On 10/1/07, Dilip/Dil Deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I doubt whether some of the MPs are familiar with the constitution or are even
aware that the government consists of three branches. Do the freshman MPs at
least get some orientation in the first few weeks to understand the process of
government?
Probably some such training will help remove the stalemate. It is very hard to
remove partisanship but it is possible to remove some of the hardness due to
partisanship. There are issues where the nation comes above party politics and
the debaters need to be aware of these. The parliamentarians of the past that
the writer extols had this calber and the debates were meaningful.
Also I have a question - the "Parliament" is called "Lok Sabha" today. What are
the "Members of Parliament" called in Hindi, other than MP?
Dilip

FROM THE ASSAM TRIBUNE:
EDITORIAL

Parliament withering away
— Poonam I Kaushish
We have been through all this before. Year after year. Of how India's
Parliament is increasing being devalued. Crores of tax payers hard earned money
being swept aside by the verbal torrent of puerile discourse that leads to
walkouts, even near fisticuffs. Wherein the very protectors of this high temple
of democracy have become its denigrators and destroyers.

Of how in their "collective wisdom" our MPs have been spewing sheer contempt on
Parliament, wittingly or unwittingly. Reducing it into an akhara, where
politically motivated bashing has become the order of the day and agenda a
luxury to be taken up when lung power is exhausted. Epitomising a cesspool of
every thing that has gone wrong with India today! Testimony to this sharp
decline was this year's shortest ever monsoon session of barely 17 days with
the longest daily adjournments and hardly any work, a mere 64 hours.

Shockingly, the session, originally scheduled from 10 August till 14 September,
was hurriedly cut short and adjourned sine die four days earlier. No, not
because of lack of agenda or legislative business. But due to the proceedings
being disrupted in both Houses on a daily basis thanks to the stand-off between
the Opposition and the Treasury benches on the Indo-US nuclear deal. The former
demanding a JPC on the contentious subject and the latter adamantly declining.

With the result that Parliament further lost credibility and prestige. Leading
a much anguished Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee to State in his
concluding remarks: "It is extremely disturbing that the highest public forum
in the country has come to a standstill which has raised questions about the
utility of our system of Parliamentary democracy and about its future." Raising
a moot point: Is Parliament becoming irrelevant?

That we are slowly but surely heading towards disaster is obvious. What
troubles one is the new dimension to this age-old malaise. That it does not
strike a chord among our MPs. Who largely continue to drift along smugly
without thinking of what they have done to Parliament. Of how they have mauled
it and continue to do so. Most distressing is that there is no sense of outrage
or shame.

The legislative business transacted during the session illustrates how
"powerless" parliament has become in stemming the mounting rot. Let's start
with the Question Hour, the hyphen which links Parliament to Government and
ensures ministerial accountability. Distressingly out of the 380 starred
questions listed, only 35 could be answered. Thus, on an average about 2.05
question were answered per day. Why? The MPs were too busy – rushing into the
well of the House, raising slogans and preventing transaction of any business.

Mindlessly, ignoring the fact that the hour, treated as sacrosanct in the House
of Commons, belong to the private members and empowers them to push the
Government and even it's Prime Minister into the dock. Any member can ask any
question within the framework of the rules. This, according to constitutional
experts, is what makes the Westminster model of Parliamentary democracy
superior to all other systems. The crucial Question Hour consequently got
"guillotined" time and again, notwithstanding the midnight oil burnt by various
ministries preparing for the answers.

Not only that. Incredibly, four Bills were passed by the House without any
discussion whatsoever due to continuous interruptions. No one cared that the
bills failed to meet the conventional parliamentary requirement of three
readings. The first reading is done when the Minister moves for the bill's
consideration and explains its philosophy and its broad parameters. Thereafter,
the bill is closely thrashed out clause by clause in the second reading. The
third and final reading is done when all the clauses and schedules, if any,
have been considered and voted by the House and the Minister moves that the
Bill be passed.

Veterans recall Nehru's time when battles royal were fought during the second
reading even over the placement of a comma! Surprised? Constitutionally and
legally, the placing of a comma could make all the difference to the meaning of
a clause. Lamented a Lok Sabha MP, "I worked long and hard preparing for
speaking on one of the scheduled bills. All my effort is wasted. If one were to
divide 64 hours by 17 sitting, only three-and-half days of concrete work have
been transacted."

As matters stand, Parliament has already been reduced to a farce. It has become
an annual ritual to guillotine the demands for grants of various ministries
totalling thousands of crores of rupees. What is more, the Treasury Benches are
now increasingly using its brute majority to rubber stamp various policies
trumpeted through ministerial fiats and ordinances. Remember, Parliament's
greatest strength and utility lies in its control over the Treasury. This has
been systematically eroded. Bringing things to such a pass that a party in
power today has no qualms in pushing ahead with populist pronouncements at the
drop of a hat. Even when that goes against all parliamentary norms.

Parliament's all-round decline is today easily Delhi's best known secret.
Everyone talks about it. Not a few lament over it. Be it the quality of
leadership, brand of MPs, parliamentary standards and debating skills. Worse,
everyone also knows the raison de atre of this sorry state of affairs: the
all-pervasive corrupt-criminal nexus and the all-enveloping caste-creed and
vote-bank paradigm. Nothing more, nothing less. Yet all willy nilly abet it.

Ironically, even as Parliament withered, it was a win-win session for our MPs.
Who earned hefty salaries, perks and innumerable freebies including free
lunches in the historic Central Hall, India's most exclusive club, for shouting
and playing truant. Normally, they should have been held accountable for their
actions, as during the Nehru era. But no one seems to care anymore beyond
shedding crocodile tears and indulging in boring rhetoric, as witnessed once
more when the President presented Best Parliamentary awards to Sharad Pawar,
Sushma Swaraj, P Chidambaram and Mani Shankar Aiyar.

Parliamentary democracy can succeed only when the rules of the game are
followed honestly. Constitutional and other steps therefore, need to be taken
soonest to restore to our Parliament its functional glory as originally
conceived. Bemoaned a senior CPI leader, "Parliament is being reduced to
nothing. MPs are not doing their work but prefer to take allowances... the
largest democracy is not functioning. This must be set right!"

The monsoon session has sharply posed a bigger question mark than ever before
over the future of India's parliamentary democracy. The issue is not just of
our MPs making ones presence felt by muscle-flexing in the House of the People
and in the Council of States or even intolerance of another's point of view. It
is about upholding the highest standards of morality, credibility and dignity
of Parliament. The MPs are servants of the people, not their masters.

If Parliament is to function and regain its lost lustre among the people, the
Government and the Opposition have to bury the hatchet of distrust. The
Treasury and the Opposition benches are two sides of the democratic coin and
must ensure orderly debate, discussion and functioning. Basically, the
Opposition must have its say, even as the Government has its way. Else, it will
lose its credibility and prestige. Worse, become redundant and irrelevant.

Clearly, it is time to give serious thought to rectifying the flaws in our
system and urgent overhauling. If necessary, rules should be drastically
changed to put Parliament back on the rails. Indira Gandhi once wisely said:
"Parliament is a bulwark of democracy. It has also a very heavy task of keeping
an image that will gain it the faith and respect of the people. Because, if
that is lost, then I don't know what could happen later." Time to heed her
words and stop the drift towards disaster. INFA