Why did we ask the British to leave? Having asked them to leave, we could have
continued with Raja Gopalachari as Viceroy and Nehru as PM and the remainder
set up as before. Why was the effort to draft a Constitution and enforce it? I
think the past 'system' was past its use or considered inadequate.

Here, governance at Queen is determinative; the action of the Hindus secondary.
Else, there would not have been requirement of any law and enforcement, if
people would have all acted in consonance with an universal unwritten edict
known to all for everyone's welfare.

Yes, it takes two to tango;  but at a given time, one leads as the
determinant, the other follows as determined :-)

Uttam Kumar Borthakur