Doing some research into this "Out of memory!" error from Perl, it
apparently only happens when a malloc() call within Perl fails,
because memory it wants is not available.

That said, my ASSP normally trundles along with about 2 GB of
physical memory available, and about the same amount of virtual
memory available. My MRTG logs don't show a sudden ramp up at the
time of the crashes, in fact, they don't ever show anything other
than a straight line in terms of memory usage. Unless a function
within ASSP is suddenly causing Perl to say, "hey, I need 4 GB of
memory, right now!" I can't see why Perl would be failing with this error.

I'm at a loss.