I added this line just before line 17570 that was causing the exception:

mlog (0,"%%%%%%%%%%%DEBUG: itime= $itime  maxBombSearchTime =
$maxBombSearchTime  text = $text   regex = $regex");

I then let it run for a bit, until it crashed again with an out of
memory error. The result, extracted from my log file (spat out by the
line above), can be seen here: http://ilovewbpf.com/memory.txt

The $text contains what is clearly a spam email.

The $regex, is, I think what is causing the problem. It is 7,681
characters long - the contents of my bombRe- and when this is being
combined with a relatively large email, it's just more than the Perl
regex engine can handle.

I'm going to reduce the contents of my bombRe and see if this solves
the problem.