[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi, Michael!
>
> It's funny -- most of the people who have been answering me
> feel that
> the CIO _shouldn't_ have to know the mechanics of how spam works.
> Several people believe that the CIO's role isn't to mess with the
> technical details. Instead, the CIO should know about the effects of
> spam, the difficulty of dealing with spam, the costs of doing so,
> whatever.

I'll jump in here. The way I read Michael's response is that the CIO
should understand how _email_ works, not spam. A great deal of
difficulty arises when trying to address spam - and email problems in
general - if the people involved don't have a good understanding of how
the mail system works, including a basic understanding of the different
protocols, services, etc. I don't expect the CIO to know the in's and
out's of configuring sendmail, but s/he should have a basic
understanding of terms like POP, SMTP, IMAP, MTA, and MUA.

Michael

Michael Silver, Network Administrator
Parkland Regional Library
5404 56 Avenue Lacombe, AB T4L 1G1
Phone: 403.782.3850    Fax: 403.782.4650
http://www.prl.ab.ca/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]