Hi Chris,

What on earth are you refering to?

Regards,
Steve

Chris Albertson wrote:

This whole argument is moot because there IS a free g.729
implementation.  Actually it is a zero cost license to the
source code.  Exactly what was asked for.

--- Steve Underwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Witold Krecicki wrote:

1st. - I'm from Poland, we don't have (yet, and hopefully forever)

software

patents. Is there any free g.729.1 implementation for asterisk? I want to use

it for my

private use (dialing into inet->PSTN gateway), and I don't want

(now) to buy

codec, as I don't know if I will be using this service in future

(now I just

want to test it). Any solutions? Maybe even free-15day-trial of

g.729.1

codec?

There *are* no software patents on G.729. However, there are a lot of

signal processing patents, and they are applicable everywhere. A lot
of people seem to have the strange idea that implementing a patented techique on a CPU, instead of some other hardware, suddenly makes it
not a patent issue in many countries. WRONG! As long as the original
patent was not so narrow that is was only claimed to apply to a very
specific realisation of the technique, a software implementation is just as patent encumbered as any other.

Regards,
Steve