Hi Raul,

I think that Bacula is going to cause you many headaches with Asterisk. Backups are (surprise!) I/O intensive and when streaming data from the network to disk or tape it will saturate the available bandwidth. This will cause the I/O wait time on the CPU to run high and effectively block other processing (eg. voice traffic) for seconds at a time. Try running a full backup during office hours and see what your users have to say!

My recommendation is to move either Asterisk or Bacula to a separate machine.

regards,

Drew

Raúl Gómez C. wrote:
Well, this has become a hot topic! :p

Thinking about my original post, I was reluctant of installing my PBX on a shared system, is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2 Intel Xeon Dual Core CPUs @2GHz (4 totals cores) and 4GB RAM which serves as Domain Controller and File Server (Samba), central backup server (Bacula with a LTO2 external tape drive), it has dual NIC in a bonding alb mode and redundant PSU (each one connected to a different UPS). It has a PCI slots in which I can install my Sangoma Remora A400D card.

But now I think the PBX will work just fine in this system, maybe breaking the channel bonding and dedicating a NIC for the PBX and the other NIC for the remaining task, what do you think? Or its better to install the PBX on a dedicated system? Let me know your opinions!

Regards...

Raul