Greetings...

I am trying to get Asterisk working with a Voicetronix OpenLine4 card. Searching through the archives it seems that some have managed this before - although I get the impression it's not a widely used card and its use is not highly documented.

My vpb drivers were compiled correctly, and are loaded with the system on startup. Running 'dmesg' will show:

vpb: major = 254
s[3] = V 0x56 s[2] = 4 0x34
check_region ret = 0
vpb: Manufactured 00/00/0000
vpb: Card version 00.00
vpb: Serial number 00000000
1 V4PCI's detected on PCI bus

I have tried the test programs bundled with the voicetronix drivers and these managed to address the card without any problems (such as recording the BUSY and DIAL tones).

What's strange is that when I run the programs 'vpbconf' and 'vpbscan' I get the following output:

VPBCONF:
---------------
Cards detected:1

BOARD 1
vpb_pconf[0][0] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][1] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][2] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][3] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][4] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][5] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][6] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][7] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][8] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][9] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][10] = 0
vpb_pconf[0][11] = 0
MODEL         : VPB4
DATE          : 00/00/0000
REVISION      : 00.00
SERIAL NUMBER : 00000000
STATIONS[1]:
TRUNKS[1]: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

VPBSCAN:
---------------
CARD1:UNKNOWN:irq=22 sub=56345654
BOARDS:1

- is this normal? It seems to me that everything about my card is unknown. The serial number, revision number, and date are all not available. Surely this should not be the case? Do I have a firmware that is too old?

When actually running asterisk, it almost seems to me as if it is just not interfacing the hardware - when I attempt to make a dial to a PSTN number, I get:

Executing Dial("SIP/TerenceParker-26d0", "vpb/1/1/26058133") in new stack
-- 1 requested, got: [None]
NOTICE[245776]: File app_dial.c, Line 499 (dial_exec): Unable to create channel of type 'vpb'
== Everyone is busy at this time
-- Executing Congestion("SIP/TerenceParker-26d0", "") in new stack
== Spawn extension (sip, 926058133, 2) exited non-zero on 'SIP/TerenceParker-26d0'

1 requested, but got none? Does this mean it's not even finding my hardware? However, note that when I change vpb.conf to something ridiculous (such as port 5 on a 4 port card) then asterisk will complain on startup - so evidently it notices something!

My vpb.conf file currently reads:

[interfaces]
echocancel = on
board = 1
context = sip
; Note that V6PCI channel numbers start at 7!
mode = fxo
channel = 1

In extensions.sip, I am using the following within the [sip] context:

exten => _9.,1,Dial(vpb/1/1/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _9.,2,Congestion

Also worth noting that is strange, is that if I pick up an analogue phone while asterisk is running (an analogue phone that is connected to the same phone line, but not to the voicetronix card directly), the OpenLine card for some reason picks this up - and then when you input DTMF asterisk crashes. Surely this shouldn't happen?

For our phones, we're using SIP.

If any one can think of any suggestions to address any of these problems, please let me know - I appreciate any comments received.

Thanks!

Terence Parker