After many moons I have revisited this problem and found a solution that moves
the problem further up the stack. I will post my new problem separately but
just for completeness here is the solution.

Original problem: trying to build kmod-dahdi-linux for out of date PAE kernel.
Errors:

rpmbuild --bb ~/localrpms/SPECS/dahdi-linux-kmod.spec --target=i686 --define
"kversion `uname -r`"

+ make KVERS=2.6.18-128.el5xen modules

You do not appear to have the sources for the 2.6.18-128.el5xen kernel
installed.

make: *** [modules] Error 1

Solution:

Specify the kernel variant in the rpm build command

rpmbuild --bb ~/localrpms/SPECS/dahdi-linux-kmod.spec --target=i686 \
--define "kversion `uname -r`" --define "kvariants 'PAE'"

Steve Hindmarch