On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Tony Mountifield wrote:

In article <4ec296b9.8040...@digium.com>,
Jason Parker <jpar...@digium.com> wrote:
On 11/15/2011 10:42 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
Yes, I was hoping to use such a system user and group for asterisk, which
would not conflict with any other system package I might install in the
future, by virtue of being reserved for asterisk.

There shouldn't be any conflict either way.  (Properly written) packages don't
specify a UID to use - they just get created sequentially, so the next available
ID is used.

If that were the case, I would expect different installations of the
same distro (with varying package selections) to have different values
for UIDs of specific system users.  But examination of several different
RH-based systems from FC1 through to CentOS 6 shows the same values
being used.  I would be reluctant to label all such packages as
improperly written :-)

I suspect the distros (well, Debian at least) have a standard 'skeleton' password file which they consider the minimum usable as part of the basic system, then packages added after the basic installation just get the next free number. Debian seems to install (for example) www-data (33 for as long as I can remember), games, man, lp, gnats, Debian-exim and a few others even when not using them at all!

So if you're building a distro, then create one yourself, or if a package then use whatever the underying OS uses to pick the next "system" one.

Gordon