On 12/12/2011 09:26 AM, Danny Nicholas wrote:
I'm wondering if the bind 161 as root statement is a mis-statement or if not, maybe somebody like Tzafir can explain why since none of the other Asterisk binds require root access (this message is still in 10.0-rc3).

This is accurate. Non-root users cannot bind ports <=1024. There are ways around it, however.

See setcap/CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/capabilities.7.html

I haven't looked at the Asterisk code, but there may be changes necessary to disable that check, if this is enabled.