Tim,
I've tested similar dialplan on my home-server and it works perfectly.
(same setting, slightly different extensions) but same idea:

exten => 418,1,Dial(SIP/55,15,trw)
exten => 418,n,GotoIf($["${DIALSTATUS}"="BUSY"]?vmail:line2)
exten => 418,n(line2),Dial(SIP/218,15,rw)
exten => 418,n(vmail),Voicemail(55)
exten => 418,n,Voicemail(55)
exten => 418,n,Hangup()

I think the reason the below dialpolan IS NOT WORKING is that I'm connecting
(dialing) remote asterisk extension.

--------not working calling remote asterisk----------
exten => 4,1,Dial(${FD_L1},25,trw)
exten => 4,n,GotoIf($["${DIALSTATUS}"="BUSY"]?vmail:line2)
exten => 4,n(line2),Dial(${FD_L2},20,rw)
exten => 4,n(vmail),Voicemail(4)
exten => 4,n,Voicemail(4)
exten => 4,n,Hangup()
-----end not working calling remote asterisk---------

I have two Asterisk server connected/registered over IAX and that error:
"...exited non-zero on..."

eg.
   -- SIP/54-00000006 is ringing
  == Spawn extension (extensions, 4, 3) exited non-zero on
'IAX2/home_server-424'

I'm not the only one with this problem, this guy has the same problem as me:

 http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-January/135612.html

--
Thelma