Andrew,

With the right hardware, like a Cisco gateway/endpoint, T38modem does seem
to work. No idea how well though. I'd be interested to know where you saw it
being recommended for use with HylaFAX. It might be an available solution if
you have to be doing fax over IP, but I'd be surprised to see it as a
'recommended HylaFAX configuration'.

>From what I've seen here, Asterisk's H.323 implementation doesn't support
T.38 anyway, so you're stuffed.

I'd guess you should consider either:

a) an FXS port and your multitech
b) another T1 port/card and a digital fax board like a Brooktrout or an
EICON

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson