On Apr 21, 2004, at 12:20 PM, David Carter wrote:
Hello,

I'm considering using Asterisk with some type of Cisco phone, and currently
considering either the 7940 or 7960 because of its more-complete functionality
(compared to the 7905).

I'm currently wondering:

Do all the expected functions (transfer, conference, voice mail, message
waiting indicator, etc.) work normally with Asterisk over SIP?

I've tested transfer, voicemail, and MWI. Conference should work have I haven't tested it.

What caveats are known about using these phones with SIP, as opposed to
Cisco's proprietary SCCP? If an SCCP module is available for Asterisk,
how functional is it?

There are two SCCP modules, but I haven't heard about anyone using 7940/60s with SCCP and Asterisk. The phone works very well with SIP.

        How customizable are the phone menus while using SIP (or if a SCCP
        module is available, using SCCP)?

To the best of my knowledge, the phone's internal menus aren't customizable at all. However, the 'services' button on the front panel works just like a menu button and fetches XML content over HTTP. You can get a good overview of the syntax and possibilities from http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/vpdd/cdd/3_0/ phsvcdev.pdf

In addition to the service button, you can also change some of the content reached from the directory button. With SIP firmware v6.3, there are 5 menus available from the directory button:

  missed calls
  incoming calls
  outgoing calls
  personal directory
  external directory

(I may have the wording and order slightly wrong, I'm not in front of my phone right now). The first 3 menus are built into the phone and are maintained automatically. You can copy names and numbers from these three into the personal directory. I assume that the personal directory is limited to ~32 entries, but I haven't tested it. Finally, the external directory option fetches XML from a web server, just like the services button. You can use it to implement a shared phone directory.

Cisco doesn't seem to have much documentation online about using these phones
in SIP mode, so if anyone is using these phones now, I'd appreciate hearing
about your experiences.

Yeah, the documentation is kind of sparse. Google can help. Here are a couple useful pages that I've tracked down:

http://www.cisco.com/global/FR/documents/pdfs/ciscotheque/ journee_developpeurs/ 03_Cisco_CallManager_Version_3_3_IP_Phone_Services_nchrisso.pdf
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-voip/

Scott