<SNIP>

On the other hand... Go take a look at all of the ~$100 wireless router/firewall/print server/gateway boxes on the market, and you'll see one thing that almost all of them have in common: they all run Linux. Most of them are even based on the same small number of tools; things like busybox and uclibc. If you want to see cheap, powerful VoIP phones, think about what they really need in terms of software, and then set out to write it and license it so the phone companies can incorporate it into their products. I'm kind of amazed that FXS ports aren't standard on medium-end home routers right now; they'd probably only add $5-10 to the cost of the router, *IF* they had the software and felt like the demand was there.