On Jun 17, 2004, at 10:18 PM, Brian K. West wrote:
g726 is 16,24,32 and 48k asterisk only does g726-32k. The iaxy doesn't do
g726 it does ADPCM as g726 is too complex for the iaxy to do.

So in this case g711ulaw/alaw is all you have to choose from.

Okay, that's what it looked like. So the IAXy is intended for an internal network installation, not to be used as a VOIP by itself.

Thanks for the informaion/confirmation!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 7:43 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] IAXy and bandwidth requirements

In the mailing list archives, I found a message that indicates that the
IAXy has the ulaw, alaw, and g726 codecs, but I cannot find anything
official on Digium's site about it. The Installation Manual has an
example iax.conf file that indicates the ulaw codec, so I know that one
is good.

But we are thinking about using the IAXy over a VPN, to replace our
MultiVoip. alaw and ulaw are 64kbps, which is too much for our tunnel.
G726 would be good if is has decent sound quality at 16kbps. We
currently use MultiVoip's Netcoder at 9.6kbps which works fine.

So, is there an official statement somewhere about which codecs the
IAXy supports?

Thanks!
-Michael

-Michael