Ryan Courtnage wrote:

With or without externip set in sip.conf, the headers send to my SIP client (with nat=yes) will look exactly the same... no difference at all.

But have you tried nat=no? You missed the important point of my previous message, that since you are using port forwarding, your Asterisk server _does not think the SIP client is external_!!! Given that, it has no reason to use the externip setting in the SIP headers.

Even with nat=no, this will still be a problem, because Asterisk is not aware that it can be contacted on two different addresses. I don't think that you can solve this problem without help on the machine doing the port forwarding; that means either a SIP proxy sitting there, or if it's a Linux machine there's a possibility that a netfilter SIP module could be created that would handle these things without having to get in the middle.

In fact, I've got plans to create a netfilter SIP module in the near future (next 30-60 days)... just need to find the time. Maybe I'll post it on the wiki and see if anyone wants to put a bounty on it :-)