To: "Bill Sandiford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [on-asterisk] Using Cable as a failover from DSL

Bill Sandiford wrote:
Henry:

I 100% agree with the rational for what you are doing, however I wouldn't do this on the Asterisk box.

I would look into a hardware appliance for this.

Something like a HotBrick LB-2 would work great for this and they are fairly cheap as well.

http://www.redundantinternet.com/en/LB-2.html

This might not perform as you expect. It's probably used to load balance things like HTTP sessions where the from IP address is less of an issue. How would one control which WAN would be used to register SIP? Then when a WAN connection fails Asterisk would still need to re-register. Could you register via both?

When I've done this in the past, I've established a VPN over the Internet (I controlled both ends) and when the IP changed the VPN would re-establish and all the existing connections would lurch forward and continue one. Still in your case calls would go dead until the LAN re-established.