> 1.  Why dynamic CNAM issue is a big deal?

>From a technical point of view it isn't usually a big deal at all.  From a
>liability point of view it could be.  Some larger carriers are worried about
>the implications if scam artists started setting their CNAM to things like
>"TORONTO POLICE"  and started calling people fraudlently.  My argument to the
>carriers has always been "Well you let us set the number and nothing is
>stopping the scam artists from setting the number to match the number of the
>police, so whats the big deal?"  The usual answer I get is a confused look and
>a shrug of the shoulders.

> 2.  Why does the Name info have to be dug out each time from a shared
> database (if its shared) based on the number (some carriers do this) by the
> carrier's lookup servers....   and then spit out to its subscribers?

Well, in Canada it isn't done that way at all.  The CNAM database method is how
the CNAM info is looed up in the good old U S A.  In the US carriers access a
shard CNAM database and query the database for the CNAM for every call.  In
Canada we use a totally different method (described below)

> 3.  Why can't the NAME be sent with the NUMBER info from one carrier to the
> other?

In Canada it is !!!!  The CNAM in Canada is passed from carrier to carrier as
part of the messaging that take place when a call is initiated.

> 4.  or ....  Is transmitting NAME with the NUMBER simply a limitation on the
> switch the telcos carry?

Most of the time if its not working its as a result of interoperability between
varying switch types.  If the trunks between carriers are SS7 then the CNAM
will most certainly work properly.  However must people using Asterisk don't
have SS7, they have PRIs.  The ISDN signalling between different switches
expect CNAM to be passed in different ways.  For example, a Nortel DMS (Bell
Canada), expects the CNAM to be sent as part of the initial Q.931 call setup
message.  Lucent 5ESS switches (Telus, Rogers) expect it to be part of a
subsequent progress message as a Facility IE.  So, in order to get CNAM to work
on your PRI, its important to know what method your carrier uses.  I can tell
you that Asterisk definately supports the Facility IE message because I was the
one that initiated the feature request and did the testing for it back in April
2005.

http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=4046

To enable CNAM by Facility IE set facilityenable=yes in zapata.conf.

If you have SIP trunking, you are at the mercy of your carriers switch
capabilites and their PSTN connectivity arrangments.

Hope this helps clear things up for you !!!

Regards,

Bill Sandiford
Telnet Communications
905-674-2000 x100
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender immediately by email and delete the message. Thank you.