To: <asterisk@uc.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [on-asterisk] Scary Call from Bell Muscle Men...

On 6 Dec 2007 at 19:29, Michael Richardson wrote:

  Are you sure?
  I know that Rogers' has said this, but it is my understanding that
they haven't actually implemented this.
  And, even if it is on the same frequencies as the Internet, you can't
see other people's traffic on cable without non-standard equipment. (And I
don't mean a Linux CD).

Positive, they use Packet Cable technology

Unless you've got some serious test/monitoring equipment, you
ain't seeing anything on the drop into your house

    >> I think the biggest concern I have is the battery life on the
    >> phone line is fairly short, in case of an emergency (ala major
    >> blackout).

    jp> The battery life of the phone is supposedly 8 hours, not sure
    jp> about battery life of equipment shelters between you and the
    jp> cable head-end

  And... Bell lost power to many of their LEC's after about 20 hours
during the ice-storm, and had to get generators out to there.

Anything that is connected directly to a CO shouldn't ever loose
power unless the loop is cut

Although nowadays they have optical quite close to the kerb

JP