We have done it in selected areas.  It's not cheap to deploy and/or operate.
It is about $125k per Bell CO by the time you deploy an initial DSLAM with
limited configuration (ie not fully loaded).  We have 4 of them done

Oshawa
Toronto - Adelaide
Toronto - Simcoe
Toronto - Asquith

We will be doing 3 or 4 more next year.

One of the bigger costs that people don't realize is the backhaul from the CO
back to our network at 151 Front (or wherever).  Backhaul is expensive.  The
other problem is that because of the ever expanding use of remotes, the number
of customers that can be served from remotes is going down.  In a suburban
central office like Oshawa we can get to about 25% of the population from the
CO.  In an a dense urban CO like the 3 downtown Toronto COs we are in we can
get to about 65%.

The other advantage is that when we can reach the customer from the CO we can
use ADSL2+ including Annex M or if customers really need it we can do SDSL at
up to 5.7 Mbps per pair.

Bill