Am 25.08.2011 um 01:40 schrieb Adrian Chadd <adr...@freebsd.org>:

> Since you have a licence to tinker with this kind of stuff, you're
> allowed to, but this may give others (who don't have an amateur
> licence) the same idea. :)

Hy guys,
I'm following this discussion according regulatory, frequency and power
limitation now for a while in this forum. Oc it's a good policy to have a clear
regulatory for ath9k and for our openWRT. But is it not a little bit to much
regulatory?
My opinion is, that it's in the responsibility of the operator to fulfill the
law.
We have also cars where it is possible to drive faster than allowed.

When we have a regdb where the allowed country settings can be used. But nobody
tells the user, that also the antenna gain, the loss of the cable,... Should be
part of the calculation.
So it is only the half way to open up a router until 19dB when it is able to
work until 26.

The example of our radio amateur shows us, that a special group of people are
allowed to OPERATE also with higher power (here in AT up to 200W eirp) and in
the frequency area our friend told.
But everybody of us, also non radio amateurs, are allowed to buy and own
transmitters. But we are not allowed to operate.

So, why do we take care so much acc. Regulatory? Why is it not possible to open
up devices to it's tech. Borders and tell the user. "This operation mode is
only for testing. It is not allowed to operate with antennas." or similar (in
better English than mine) :-)

Wold be really great when we could find to such a regulatory. It would help a
lot of radio amateurs to use openWRT instead of airOS for HAMNET.

Best
JoeSemler, 0xFF-Funkfeuer Vienna