I have been running XBMC on my Apple TV for quite a while.  I just
installed the Broadcom Crystal HD card and my plan was to completely
remove the Apple TV OS and just run ubuntu.  I have successfully
partitioned the disk as described and installed Ubuntu (Karmic) via
the netboot installer to /dev/sda4 but am having trouble getting it to
boot.  I have created the menu.lst file and it appears to be picking
it up as the kexec command shown at startup corresponds to what I have
placed in the menu.lst file.

The very left of my screen gets cutoff but the next line I see after
the kexec command is:
open '/mnt/rootfs/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-22-generic' : stream error

I've tried changing the patchstick to manual and editing the
boot_linux.sh file but then I receive errors stating that it can't
find the boot_linux.sh file even though previous lines shows it picked
it up.

Just out of ideas and not sure what to try next. I can provide any
information that would be helpful.