I believe I have the path correct.  I deal with Linux systems on
regular basis so I feel fairly comfortable when dealing with Linux but
just at a loss here.  I have provided some additional info below.

# parted -s /dev/sda print
Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54161 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
 1      20.5kB  25.0MB  25.0MB  fat32        primary  boot
 2      25.0MB  50.0MB  25.0MB  hfs+         primary  atvrecv
 3      50.0MB  75.0MB  25.0MB  hfs+         primary
 4      75.0MB  159GB   159GB   ext3         primary
 5      159GB   160GB   1042MB  linux-swap   primary

I mounted /dev/sda4 to /mnt/rootfs
# cd /mnt/rootfs/boot
# ls
System.map-2.6.31-22-generic  initrd.img-2.6.31-22-generic
abi-2.6.31-22-generic         memtest86+.bin
config-2.6.31-22-generic      vmcoreinfo-2.6.31-22-generic
grub                          vmlinuz-2.6.31-22-generic
#

This is the contents of my menu.lst in /mnt/rootfs/boot/grub
# cat menu.lst
default 0
timeout 3
title linux
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-22-genric root=/dev/sda4 ro vesa
video=vesafb
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-22-generic
boot
#