Janusz S. Bień <jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl> writes:

> The new version is just listed in a long list of available packages, and
> the old one (if I remember well) just as installed. I would prefer to
> have the installed but upgradable packages listed explicitely.

After 'M-x list-packages RET', hit '/ u' which runs:

,----[ C-h f package-menu-filter-upgradable RET ]

`----

>From the manual[1]

  / u

    Filter package list to show only packages for which there are
    available upgrades (package-menu-filter-upgradable).  By default,
    this filter excludes the built-in packages for which a newer version
    is available, but customizing `package-install-upgrade-built-in' can
    change that.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Package-Menu.html