Jean Eid <j...@wlu.ca> writes:

> Anyway to turn off the fontification of math within $ signs?

IIRC that one is built in and cannot be turned off (I think this is
also documented somewhere in the manual but I didn't check).  Therefore
you have to go through some more troubles (see Tassilo's message).

> The reason is that I use polymode with auctex and ess and when I have
> an inline R expression with a dollar sign like so :
>
>     the average salary is $\bar x=\Rexpr{mean(mydata$salary}}$
>
> the $ fontification bleed out.

The usual trick to fix this is to write something like this:

  the average salary is $\bar x=\Rexpr{mean(mydata$salary}}$% $

You get misformed fontification, but you can limit it until EOL.

Best, Arash