Hi Jobst,

> While I'm working on a large LaTeX (multifile) document, I stumble over
> the error message

> TeX-auto-parse-region: The TeX auto-parser’s regexp has too many groups
> (261)

> upon C-c C-n or after opening another file of the document, even if I
> say

> (setq TeX-auto-regexp-list LaTeX-auto-minimal-regexp-list)

That is ineffective because `TeX-auto-regexp-list' is a variable which
always becomes buffer-local when set. That `setq' sets the value only in
the buffer you evaluates it.
(Even if you evaluated it in the document buffer, C-c C-n didn't work as
expected because it kills all buffer local values.)

> That prevents all actions with cross references, is there a way to
> circumvent that limit?

Try either one:
1. Set the default value by `setq-default', rather than `setq'. (Or use
   M-x customize-option RET TeX-auto-regexp-list RET )
2. Put the file local variables section like this and type C-c C-n:
%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-auto-regexp-list: LaTeX-auto-minimal-regexp-list
%%% End:

To developers:

It seems that we should revisit this Arash's proposal now. What do you
think about it?
https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex-devel/2023-07/msg00014.html

Regards,
Ikumi Keita