Many thanks Arash,

AUCTeX version is 12.2

AUCTeX, emacs and the whole texmf were installed via apt install

I evaluated the code in scratch, or I think so: M+: and the code, no line
breaks. The minibuffer returned nil.

I opened a *.tex file with a TeX-master in local variables. However the
full AUCTeX bundle for LaTeX files was not available in the major mode.
Instead, the default TeX environment that is loaded with 'emacs -Q
filename.tex' was available. As if the eval code did not activate AUCTeX
actually. As a result C-c C-e did not launch an environment.

Best,

--
José María Martín Olalla