Yes, you got it right. The current Debian 12 released 2023 is shipping AUCTeX
12.2.

I removed the apt-installed AUCTeX and did the package-install stuff.

It worked like charm.

Many many thanks.

I must add I have been an Emacs-AUCTeX user since the 2000s or so. I love
acknowledging the terrific contribution that free software do in the studies I
got published.
Sometimes these acknowledgements get published[1].
I take this opportunity to thank you all again.

[1]https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-43220-8#Ack1
[https://media.springernature.com/m685/springer-static/image/art%3A10.1038%2Fs41598-019-43220-8/MediaObjects/41598_2019_43220_Fig1_HTML.png]<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-43220-8#Ack1>
Seasonal synchronization of sleep timing in industrial and pre-industrial
societies - Scientific
Reports<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-43220-8#Ack1>
www.nature.com

José María Martín Olalla