Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.z...@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear AUCTeX Team,
>
> I am writing to you with regards to a query that I have currently. I
> am considering using Emacs in combination with AUCTeX as a tool for
> typesetting a large-scale academic monograph in LaTeX. This project
> will likely contain a substantial number of mathematical equations,
> images, tables, and bibliographic references. Also, a high degree of
> customization might be required for the document, covering areas such
> as defining own formats, styles, etc.
>
> Given that Emacs combined with AUCTeX is widely touted as a potent
> editing platform, and while it is clear that it is capable of managing
> intricate editing jobs, I am interested in understanding whether it
> excels particularly in handling large-scale monograph typesetting and,
> hence, would be a fitting choice for my use case.
>
> Here are the specific questions I would like to ask:
>
> 1. Can Emacs and AUCTeX offer stable, quick, and efficient performance
> when dealing with large-scale documents?

No problems with large-scale documents.

> 2. Do they support numerous LaTeX packages for greater customization options?

That question is gibberish.  Try to be more specific.

> 3. How is the input of vast amounts of mathematical equations, images,
> tables, etc. handled?

Again, it isn't clear what you are trying to ask with regard to "vast
amounts".  The amounts don't change anything.  You might want to look at
preview-latex (the Preview menu) for more convenient in-document
handling and overview with a focus on mathematical content.  Load a
large document and take a look.

> 4. What are the recommended strategies for managing bibliographic
> references?

Using BibTeX?

> 5. Are there any particular advantages or potential drawbacks of Emacs
> and AUCTeX that should be taken into account for such large-scale
> typesetting?

It works, and will handle everything that is entered using different
editors/environments in case other collaborateurs would prefer other
workflows.

> Given the wealth of experience, knowledge, and the regard I hold for
> the AUCTeX team, I am eagerly looking forward to your knowledgeable
> input on this matter. Of course, I would also be more than happy to
> set up a meeting at your convenience to discuss this in detail, if
> need be.

It is not clear what you want to be asking here.  If you aim for ongoing
personal support in your endeavors, you might want to consider making a
formal offer/request for it and allocate appropriate resources.  If you
are looking for binding guarantees of suitability, I don't see that we
can offer them.  That the tools are generally usable for the kind of
purposes you want to be using them for is not really at doubt.

LaTeX has been used for larger pieces of work than you probably
envision.  Perhaps the main selling point of AUCTeX is that it does not
import or specially treat LaTeX files.  You can at any point of time,
including simultaneously with different collaborateurs, use a different
editing system without any loss of information.  You don't need to
commit to AUCTeX at all and can decide at any point of time to stop or
restart using it without having to change the text corpus you are
working on, and it is the individual choice of the people working on the
corpus whether they prefer using AUCTeX or a different editing
environment.

Particularly when the body of work contains significant amounts of math,
I'd really recommend trying out the preview-latex system (in AUCTeX's
"Preview" menu) before deciding for a different editing environment.
But it is a choice everybody entering texts can make for themselves
without affecting the choices of others.

On the side of the LaTeX support, for a large piece of work there may be
a point in consulting with somebody well-versed with LaTeX.  Sometimes
you may find people with the required amount of competence and/or
willingness and ability to acquire them among the kind of grad student
working on your project.  If not, and you have particular desires for
layout/workflow/formatting, there may be a point in finding external
support for providing and supporting document classes implementing your
particular layout.

All the best

--
David Kastrup