On Sun, Jan 14 2024, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Given that Emacs combined with AUCTeX is widely touted as a potent
> editing platform, and while it is clear that it is capable of managing
> intricate editing jobs, I am interested in understanding whether it
> excels particularly in handling large-scale monograph typesetting and,
> hence, would be a fitting choice for my use case.

If you're asking whether LaTeX and AUCTeX are suitable for writing a book, then
the answer is yes. Many people have done so.

> Here are the specific questions I would like to ask:
>
> 1. Can Emacs and AUCTeX offer stable, quick, and efficient performance
> when dealing with large-scale documents?

Sure, LaTeX files are just text files, so what exactly are you worried about?

> 2. Do they support numerous LaTeX packages for greater customization options?

Not sure what you mean exactly.

> 3. How is the input of vast amounts of mathematical equations, images,
> tables, etc. handled?

In what sense?

> 4. What are the recommended strategies for managing bibliographic references?

Biblatex will handle the references and the bibliography in the document.
Handling the bibliographic database itself is a different matter. It can be done
entirely in Emacs as well (bibtex-mode, Ebib), but you may also want to maintain
it outside Emacs using e.g., Zotero. Also check out citar, ivy-bibtex or
helm-bibtex.

TBH, your questions are fairly general, so it's difficult to say anything useful
beyond "it can be done, and it works great". If you're committed to LaTeX, then
just go ahead and get started using AUCTeX, because if it turns out that you
don't like it, you can simply switch to another editing environment and open
your LaTeX sources. AUCTeX is not something like LyX, where you end up with
LyX-specific source text that can't easily be used in another environment.

Then, if you run into specific issues that are AUCTeX-related, just come here
and ask.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments