From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike Borgelt
Sent: Tuesday, 1 March 2011 6:31 AM
To: k...@riverland.net.au; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in
Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] blaniks

Kym,

Contact Nigel Arnott at Boonah/Archerfield. He has the approval to do
the mod and I heard $20000 -25000.

While you're at it paint it yellow instead of the oxidised
aluminium/Stealth grey colour they come in.

Mike

At 08:26 PM 28/02/2011, you wrote:
>To answer your question "4. Is it worth it?": YES.
>My club has a Blanik, obviously it is worth nothing but scrap unless
>it can fly.  It is our only 2 seat glider.  Most other 2 seat
>gliders are too heavy for our ultralight tug.  The club could afford
>to buy another trainer, and I suggested affordable options - but it
>won't, so fixing our existing aircraft is the only way to keep
>going.  So it is worth up to the value of what our very nice, low
>hours Blanik would be worth once it is flyable again.
>Kym.
>

>>Re Blaniks
>>The President confirms that the Llewelyn mod for  8 Blaniks is OK,
>>and should be OK for others provided they are "modified to the full
>>extent of the STC to L13A1 standard".
>>Much of this note seems quite premature, given that facilitating
>>"work is in progress". The three obvious questions that arise are:
>>1.  How much?
>>2.  Who is approved to do the work?
>>3. Who is actually prepared to do the work?
>>
>>The first question give rise to a further question;
>>4. Is it worth it?
>>
>>My guess is that the answer to the first question is "substantial",
>>to the second "many",  to the third "very few - unless they can
>>make big bucks from their efforts." and to the last "no".
>>
>>It all appears to be a bit like the question "Do you want the good
>>news first, or the bad news first?"

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com