The various routes an investigation may (or may not) take are pretty clearly
laid out by Mike Cleaver. It's been that way for quite a while but it is a
great inhibitor to learning from the various events. With clubs reluctant or
unable to carry out their own detailed investigation (whether through
disinclination, lack of resources or training, or fear of litigation) it is
hard to see what can be done. If the clubs don't want to (or can't) do it the
next step up are the State Associations. If they won't do it or support it
nationally then the GFA is unlikely to put its hand up for the task. It's one
of the core weaknesses of our federated system that the clubs have to try to
influence policy or procedures through their State Associations and so through
their State representative on the GFA Board. It was supposed to be a "bottom
up" system but it's operated as a "top down" one.

Unwieldy, unresponsive, and in the end somewhat unrepresentative due to a low
level of interest and participation by the clubs in management of the sport.
It's a system designed to fail, and if it wasn't propped up by Government money
and the need to have somebody fight our corner when it comes to aviation
regulations I think it would have collapsed a long time ago.

As a long time safety consultant to industry I was interested some time ago to
get involved in glider incident investigations and attended several CASA
seminars on the subject, but it became clear that there was no resource base
for glider investigations, no specific training for people wanting to get
involved, no structure that would provide such a service and no real interest
at GFA. CASA and ATSB have different priorities to us.

I have a view about what happened in the recent case, but it's based on scant
anecdotal information (I wouldn't even class it as 'evidence') and may be so
far from the actual facts that it would serve no purpose in posting it.

This area represents a "black hole" in the management of gliding safety at a
national level, and until something concrete is done to change the way it's
handled I think we will see more incidents for which any risk management
reports or recommendations never get beyond the club concerned.

Leigh Youdale