On 06/03/2013, at 10:35 AM, "Trezise" <tre...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Also, I think it is necessary to be able to clear the runway after landing,
> especially when an large number of gliders are landing at a similar time.
> However, in these circumstances it should only be used when the speed is well
> under control (ie below 15kts .... ie just shortly before the wing is about
> to drop) and there is no possibility of hitting anything. I only use it in
> these circumstances.

Although this is a popular thing to do, it is where I have seen the closest
collisions. Someone on the ground turning, not realising that behind them
someone was landing to one side.

And if you are close enough to the runway markers to not have anyone land next
to you, I would worry about hitting a runway marker. You just can't see behind
you. Don't turn.

So personally, I think it is a bad habit... there is a good saying "more haste,
less speed". Land straight ahead and pull up reasonably fast, without
overloading your brakes.

Scott
--
Scott Penrose