On 06/03/2013, at 4:17 PM, Stuart & Kerri FERGUSON <s...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Scott,
>          my Mk2 eye ball is my Flarm; it does not resolve separation problems
> but it can direct your attention and our Mk1 eyeball to an area in the sky
> that needs attention, especially as you pointed out someone approaching from
> behind or an unannounced modified circuit. Correct use of the radio is also
> part of the overall package.
>
> S.A. or Situational Awareness is essential for safe operations.

Totally

* S.A. in circuit - using Eyes and Radio Call
* FLARM
* Local procedure (which strip to land etc)
* Land straight ahead.

I just don't think any of the first 3 replace the 4th without high risk, low
benefit.

I will be landing straight ahead, and assuming that any glider either side of
me might turn in front of me - always fly safe and assume the worst.

Scott