Comparing some flights from a recent comp,

A glider that flew direct saw 4 knot average climbs and averaged 40:1

A glider of the same type deviated a lot, saw 6 knot climbs and achieved 50:1

The glider that deviated could fly an additional 26km and still be ahead.
That's a deviation of about 42 degrees !

Alternatively a 30 degree deviation has this glider 6 minutes ahead after 100km
!

Matt