Part of the problem here is the certification process.
The logical process is to fit a newer and better engine instead of trying
to source parts for the old engine.  However that introduces problems
with certification and voids any warranty!

My preferred solution is to register as experimental and make the
improvements.

Admittedly that makes the pilot a test pilot!  No one is saying that we do
not practice a dangerous sport. However we do have crowd sourcing now to
solve some of the problems.