Hi Peter

Part of the answer is that Mazda found it difficult to comply with the strict
emission standards set for the car industry.
Fortunately the same standards do not apply to the aviation industry and for
this reason both the two stroke engines
and the Austro rotary engine are today in widespread use for relatively low
powered gliders.

Perhaps I should use this opportunity to correct a few rumours around the
Austro rotary engine used in all eleven
ASK 21 Mi for the Australian Air Force Cadets. It is true that one of these
engines exceeded the flight manual
temperature limits by two and another engine by four degrees during ferry
flights on a hot day. However, claims that
the engines overheat are simply incorrect!
Correct is that Schleicher adopted the engine manufacturer's temperature limits
in the ASK 21 Mi flight manual but
elected to use a different temperature sensor location for ease of
accessibility. This minor change has resulted in
temperature readings about 10 to 15 degree higher compared to figures
established during the certification process
of this rotary engine
Right now Austro Engines and Schleicher are issuing revised flight manual pages
which brings the matter to an end.
It is also important to highlight that issues beyond the control of Schleicher
made the Air Force decide not to utilise
the self launching capabilities of the ASK 21 Mi at present.

Please stay tuned to this channel for an update in the not too distant future!

Kind regards to all

Bernard