I have just been choosing instruments for a new glider.

I did wonder for a moment after reading Adam's post whether I had wasted
money on the Winter Vario.

However I agree with Mike.  A set on basic instruments (redundancy) is good
insurance.  In my case I have something in case of electrical failure.

No doubt thermal can be found and used without any instruments, but it
difficult.