On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 12:52 -0600, Michael Coffman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use the -host map for global access to servers in my
> environment.
>
> I have noted on this list that after the first mount of a server via
> host mapping, the server is never again probed for mount points.  This
> seems like a major flaw in the host map functionality.   This is a
> problem when adding new file systems to our NFS servers.   It means
> systems have to be completely idled in order to get them to unmount
> and re-mount the servers to see the new mount points (not possible
> very often in my environment).
>
> Is the assumption that if you use host mapping, your server will
> either never change, or you have the ability to 'reboot' your
> environment when a new file system is added to a server?

Neither.

The problem is that exports can be nested and frequently are (think of
the nohide export option).

For example, with exports like:

/export/vol1/data1
/export/vol1/data2

and then add:

/export/vol1

and update the map when either or both /export/vol1/data1
and /export/vol1/data2 are mounted, /export/vol1 is accessed it will
cover these mounts. Now that might not seem like a problem but when you
end up with multiple layers of mounts mounted multiple times everything
starts to get confused really fast.

> Is there any way that functionality could be added that would allow
> for sending a signal ( say USR2 ) that would cause the automounter to
> re-run /etc/auto.net to re-query -host managed servers for new file
> systems?

Well, if you have sensible, realistic, workable ideas on how to handle
the nesting problem then share. And I don't mean "just do this ...."
type through away comments that have no workable basis in fact.

Ian