Brian> If the autotools were to recognize these pattern rules, scan
Brian> the source and automatically generate portable rules for me, I
Brian> would be a very happy customer indeed :)

Sorry, I thought that was what we were talking about.
In terms of just using it, yeah, this doesn't work atm.

Having automake recognize GNU make-style '%' rules isn't totally out
of the question, IMO.  It might be tricky to make this totally
reliable, I'm not sure.  (E.g., if you considered something like
extending the built-in dependency tracking code to support user
rules...)

Alternatively, code to directly support moc would also be fine.

Tom