On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:58:26 +0100
David Brown <david.br...@hesbynett.no> wrote:

Thanks to all the people who replied while I was away !

> An alternative idea is to find an ASCII character that you don't need
> otherwise (say, "~"), and use it in your strings.  Then do on-the-fly
> conversion when outputing the strings:
>
> char example[] = "foo~bar";
>
> void lcdWriteString(const char* p) {
>       while (char c = *p++) {
>                       lcdWriteChar(LCD_CUSTOM_CHAR_FOO);
>               } else {
>                       lcdWriteChar(c);

Ah yes, as it happens I already do exactly just that, for two caracters:
the lower case 'g' and 'y' letters. The default ones defined in the LCD
module don't look good, so I redefined them (same bitmap but lowered
down one line/pixel, so it lines up better with the surrounding text).

--
Vince