From: vincent.trouill...@modulonet.fr
[...]
>> ISO C99, section 6.4.4.4, p3:
>> the question-mark ?, [..] is representable according to the following table
>> of escape
>> sequences: question mark? \?
>
> Interesting. I wonder why the standard deeemd it necessary to provide
> an escape sequence for the question mark ?

As other have mentioned, it's to prevent the substitution of trigraphs.
Trigraphs are a way to express characters that either do not appear is the
source character set, or are handled poorly by the development environment.  If
trigraphs are enabled, then

   puts("Trigraphs??!");

will output "Trigraphs|" (IIRC).  To prevent this, you can use

   puts("Trigraphs?\?!");

Regards,

   -=Dave