On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hi Jarek, all:
>
> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>> So sounds like we agree on moving the http module back to Axis2 and
>> leaving transport base where it is (after fixing the utility classes
>> dependency). What about tcp and local? Should we move it or leave it
>> where it is? Do Axis2 users expect local and/or tcp transports to be
>> installed by default?
>
> If we're really thinking about doing this, local should be there IMO, both
> for quick accesses (HTTP-based service gets called, say, and it calls another
> service via local transport) and for testing.  TCP not so much.

Ok, great.

> So, to be clear, the point of this is to... remove the dependency from Axis2
> to the other transports?  I do still want to be able to release the
> transports (including HTTP) separately from the full Axis2 distributions, so
> I'm not entirely sure that moving http/local back necessarily solves things.

It solves the circular dependency problem for now. For the long term
if we want to release the http transport independently from Axis2 we
might have to re-factor Axis2 and the http transport code to rely on
some new module that contains classes/interfaces through which Axis2
and transport code interacts - sort of what Jason was saying.

>  I'm not against it (I actually think all the transports should be under the
> Axis2 TLP as a subproject, but that's another conversation :)),

+1000 to that.

> I'm just not
> sure it entirely helps with this problem long term.
>
> Once we have a stable Axis2 1.5 base for the transports to depend on, this
> problem should go away until the next time we have a core change.  So if it's
> possible, I'm still thinking about the "release 1.5 jars then depend on those
> for the transport releases" option....
>
> Also, I'd really like to get 1.5 out the door ASAP, it's lingered way too
> long already.  So whatever solution gets us there soonest with consensus is
> the one I'll be happy with.

Yes, I agree. Sounds like we already agree on a solution (moving http
and local back to Axis2).

Jarek