Hi Steve S,

Sousa is the modern Portuguese spelling. Before 1911 you will see Souza. At
least in the Portuguese records. The set of records you'll be dealing with
won't be the Civil Registers but the Church records.

Yes, Souza/Sousa and Silva are 2 of the most common names. Records over
there are organized on the village level. You have to know the village,
especially when you are dealing with Sao Miguel island. That island alone
holds half the population of the Azores and has approximately 70 churches
to look through. It's a needle in a haystack.

You have the immigration date. Unfortunately, the emigration leaving the
port of Ponta Delgada on the island of Sao Miguel has some gaps in the
records. That 1885-1886 is one gap. The records are simply missing.

If none of your research has turned up a village (called a freguesia) on
your Manuel, you'll have to research his sisters and find their immigration
and naturalizations. And you'll most likely have to use DNA. Your matches
might point towards a particular region on Sao Miguel. Or maybe you'll find
a cousin. If your parent(s) are alive test them first. If they are not
alive, test their sibling(s). If they are not alive, then you are the best
candidate for the DNA test. Order through the Azores DNA Project on Family
Tree DNA. Use this link:
https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=AzoresIslands
You want the Family Finder which is on sale for $49 (+$12.95 S&H - includes
return postage if you still reside in the U.S.). The sale ends tonight
(Jan. 2) at 11:59 pm PST.
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada