On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Valent Turkovic
<val...@otvorenamreza.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> my name is Valent and I'm founder of www.otvorenamreza.org which is a
> partner project with Wlan Slovenia (we are neighbours) and also
> www.meshpoint.me
>
> We have used Babel for almost a year and it has show to be excellent,
> recently we had tested it in real worlds situation with on extreme
> sport event in which over 19,000 people have been online on 4 nodes
> (each node with two 2.4 ghz radios)... in peak we had over 500 users
> at the same time!
>
> All nodes were wired, we didn't use wireless mesh, only wired mesh so
> to say in star + hub and spoke topology.
>
> I would like to ask this group what kind of setup do you use for
> wireless mesh and which hardware?
>
> We currently have mostly single radio nodes (tplink wr841nd and
> ubiquiti nanostation Loco m2) in our network and by default all of our
> nodes also run mesh on same radio but via adhoc interface.
>
> In my short experimentation this showed to work quite poorly, even
> with two nodes separated by only 10 meters on top of two building this
> mostly failed to work and we had lots of connectivity issues. Once I
> switched these two nodes to ap and sta modes link was rock solid.
>
> We have few nodes that are connected to the network only via wifi
> adhoc mesh interface but these are only border nodes, and they are not
> so important if then don't work perfectly.
>
> Did anyone experiment with running wireless point to point and point
> to multipoint backone links with babel? Can you share what kind of
> bandwidth speeds did you reach? Did you have any issues? Can you share

Speed is not dependent on the routing, protocols like babel don't try
to assess the speed of the link. Babel relies on the ETX metric, which
is packet loss based, and would prefer a 56kbps link over a gigabit
one if the first one has less packet loss.

Doing mesh over a single frequency is a throughput suicide, as radios
are half-duplex.

Now radios with MIMO might change the situation, as the Google speaker
mentioned it in his talk recently.

But that has to be verified.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762