> On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > <<Mr Highfield said the BBC would not be hunting down all
> > BBC-copyrighted clips already uploaded by YouTube members -
> although
> > it would reserve the right to swap poor quality clips with the real
> > thing, or to have content removed that infringed other people's
> > copyright, like sport, or that had been edited or altered in a way
> > that would damage the BBC's brand.
> This development is excellent news but what popped into my
> head when I read about it was, "how on earth are the BBC
> getting all the rights to allow YouTube to do this?"  After
> hearing that Dyke's plan to open the archives was scuppered
> by a conductor with a short term contract, I assume that the
> legal beagals have been very, very busy to allow this content
> to go out?

It's worth noting that the stuff currently up there on the "BBC" channel
is more promotional stuff - trailer style content, and some items which
would probably have been created for bbc.co.uk anyway.  So it's not
archive stuff.

I've no idea about the BBC Worldwide stuff, but it's notable they've so
far got most of their big commercial bankers up there - Attenbourgh, the
Mighty Boosh, Top Gear, Catherine Take.  All stuff that the BBC's
commercial arm will want to flog you in some way or other (and indeed
are already very good at doing!)  :)