On 13/12/2007, Sean DALY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> De facto standards are typically undocumented, controlled
> >> by only one or two organisations, and patent encumbered.
>
> It's in this context that I think BBC Dirac in Flash would make sense
> for the BBC. The Macromedia Flash container started off with Sorenson
> Spark (rumored to be an early version of H.264) and the addition of
> On2 VP6 and H.264 since the Adobe takeover showed they know how to
> build in a scalable codec.

IMO a better solution than Dirac in Flash is Theora in Ogg. Ogg Theora
was going to be in HTML 5, but appears to have been dropped :-(

If HTML5 does eventually have Xiph formats, the future of web audio
and video will be patent-unemcumbered :-)

"there is currently a specification for HTML5 being developed by the
WHATWG including the possibility of including a new <video> element in
HTML5 with native support for Ogg Theora/Vorbis as a baseline video
format by browsers."
"The problems facing Ogg Theora/Vorbis are really about usability and uptake."
-
http://wiki.transmission.cc/index.php/FOSS_Codecs_For_Online_Video:_Usability_Uptake_and_Development_1.2#Future_of_Web_Video

"Ogg technology has been removed from the HTML5 spec, after Ian caved
in the face of pressure from Apple and Nokia."
- http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/11/1339251

--
Regards,
Dave