Ogg is a container format, like QuickTime MOV and Microsoft AVI and
ASF (WMV/WMA). I agree it would be great if browsers recognized the
Ogg container and Theora/Vorbis cidecs natively, the way they
recognize JPG and GIF &c. Theora is great and there are powerful FOSS
tools to transcode to it, for example I created the Theora and Vorbis
files on this page:
http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/europe-gplv3-conference.en.html
quite easily from consumer MiniDV with ffmpeg2theora.

Technically speaking, I don't see why Dirac couldn't be offered in an
Ogg container either. Although both Theora and Dirac are scalable to
HD, the great advantage to the BBC with Dirac is that internal video
storage and indexing could be seamless with a Dirac-based frontend.

There's little doubt now that MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 has won against
Microsoft WM9 / VC-1 in the industry broadcast wars. But on the
Windows desktop, anything other than WM9 has a steep uphill climb.
Free codecs will have better chances as Microsoft's stranglehold on
personal computers diminishes.

Sean