The first hard drive we had a school was a Winchester for the BBC Micro
network, it was a "full hight" 5.25" drive, and it had a capacity of 10
megabytes.
By the time I installed servers when I was a BT Broadcast, server drive were
"half hight" and in the 3" size, with capacities in single gigabytes.

I popped a terrabyte in a server a few weeks ago, bought from PC World (boo!
hiss!) in the "half hight" 3" size.

Whilst I have a laptop drive under one of my monitors that is smaller, most
drives still are "half hight" 3".

I hold that experience suggests that you can apply Moore's Law to hard drive
capacity as well, and it seems reasonable that there will be no move from
"half hight" 3" drives.

Moore's law, in the basic form "double the stuff for the same price in 18
months" applies to hard drives, and it works with broadband and other
communications speeds.

The only thing it doesn't work for is data compression and broadcast
networks.

I'm sorry if you think this is a misapplication of Moore's Law, I was just
trying to make a general point.